View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Am I really here?

Send a message via ICQ to dadaist Send a message via AIM to dadaist Send a message via Yahoo to dadaist
Yeah, careful there Lilith, they had a named storm in April that was a first. I think it stayed out in the Atlantic though.

I was born in OKC, lived in Edmond in the mid-late 70s (Edmond is north of OKC, tonight's tornadoes that hit were in the SW part of town I gather, moving NE). Then we lived in Kansas 5 years. About a year after leaving Kansas, we heard the shed behind the house there got blown away in a tornado, but left the house in tact. NE Illinois hasn't been TOO bad, or again we've been lucky. Worst damage to us was 1984 (while I was running around in a full leg cast), when a huge hailstorm broke a bunch of storm windows and destroyed the aluminum siding. The biggie everyone remembers around here is the one that took down Plainfield High School about 15 years ago, not long before the school year was supposed to start. While at Purdue there was at least one that caused us all to storm down into the dorm basements and tunnels (yes, some of the dorms are inter or intra-connected by service tunnels). That one hit a trailer park north of campus and a service station as well, if I remember right. That had to have been in 1994.
And the one my grandparents remember is the HUGE tornado that swept through downtown Ft. Smith, AR a few years ago, completely devastating the place.