Thread: Foodies
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
arOusal art!st!

Send a message via AIM to Salacious Send a message via Yahoo to Salacious
Oh my... what a delicious find. I hope to see expansion in the thread and not my waistline.

I love food too. Read cookbooks for pleasure and take joy in preparing a meal when I know it's going to be appreciated. Will make special efforts to show my love with food as well.

The first thought that came to mind was the film and book... Like Water for Chocolate. A fabulous story surrounded with food and just as much about food as it is about love and life.

A recreated recipe from the film, which I admittedly have yet to try but so wish to is for the Rose Quail. In searching for the recipes I happened across this and just need the right opportunity to give it a go...

LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE - ROSE QUAIL RECIPE

My husband and I recently made a delicious dinner by adapting the recipe for quail-in-rose-petal sauce found in the novel Like Water for Chocolate. The book gives the ingredients, but doesn't tell how to make it. We used chicken instead of quail and changed some of the other ingredients, and figured out on our own how to put them together.

Ingredients:
1/2 dozen red rose buds
1/2 cup of slivered almonds
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons anis

Chop the roses into small pieces and grind in blender with the almonds and garlic. Melt the butter and add honey. Stir the rose, garlic and almond mixture into the honey and butter. Add the cornmeal and anis. The mixture will be a thick paste. Use a spoon to spread onto the chicken. Bake the chicken as usual, basting if the coating gets too dry. The rose petals and anise will infuse the chicken with wonderful flavor.

Use additional rose buds or petals as a garnish when presenting the chicken.

After we ate we watched the movie based on the book for an unforgettable romantic evening.

Now that does sound wonderful. The idea of pairing it with the film even more romantic and sensual.

The next thing that popped into my head was my two favorite food blogs:

1. The Domestic Goddess
2. Orangette

Variety is the soul of pleasure. ~ Aphra Behn