View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 01:33 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

I’ll share the little I know. In Ohio, each county develops the point of responsibility, and it is, for the most part the same as Cobalt states for Cuyahoga and most others, but they WILL tell you.

First~
As for water service right now, you can do something that will NOT stampede you into making a costly fast choice. Unless you have a neighbor like Steph, you can usually ask them to allow you to hook a hose from closest sillcocks of the of both houses. This can be connected by replacing the male end with a standard female hose fitting. We are still in the warm season, so no overnight freezing problems. You may want to offer paying some of their water bill the next quarter and adjusting your washing and shower times so not to cause inconvenient low pressure issues. This will give you time to look at options and do some shopping.

Next~
After the time pressure is off, check around for plumbers that can “jack pipe”.
Your meter location will determine some of the options you have. If they use curb meters, it will be in a pit near the street. Being a 1950’s vintage home, your meter could well be in the basement and most departments have added remote readers now, so they do not have to come inside to read it. Water meters will NOT be above ground in Ohio. One common method of replacing water line for over 40 years has been to push steel rods horizontally through the ground, from one location, below the frost line (36” in Cuyahoga county), to another. The maximum practical jacking distance through clay soil was about 50 ft. They may need to punch a new hole through the basement wall and into the floor to anchor the jack. The rods are pushed through in 10 ft. lengths and another coupled on. After it reaches the hole or pit on the other end, it is jacked back pulling M (soft) copper coil with it.

Your local geology will determine how practical jacking may be. Another option is to have a plastic liner pushed through the old pipe (If it was ¾” iron pipe. Early 50’s was copper water lines began replacing ferries.) This is commonly done with natural gas lines too. It only requires a hole being dug at each end and save a fortune in trenching. I had 157 ft., from the curb to the house done about 10 years ago.

I hope something here can be of help to you. The big thing is to do some homework.

Good luck babe.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world