Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If you have Blue Eyes ... (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32470)

jseal 02-07-2008 12:47 PM

If you have Blue Eyes ...

... and even if you do not, you may find this interesting.

Neige 02-07-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:
"It's exactly what I sort of expected to see from what we know about selection around this area," said John Hawks of the University of Wisconsin-Madison...

Is it exactly, or is it sort of? :rolleyes:

osuche 02-07-2008 01:39 PM

This gene does something good for people. It makes them have more kids."

Huh?

scotzoidman 02-07-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
This gene does something good for people. It makes them have more kids."

Huh?
My guess is that he means that for 40% of all Europeans to have descended from one mutant a few millennia ago, there must have been some kind of genetic advantage that helped these mutants to reproduce early & often. You're right, that is a drastically over-simplified statement to make about such a complex issue...turning a new thoery into a media-friendly sound bite does not help the researchers' cause in any way that I can see...

Interesting anyway...I have green eyes myself, but I was spawned from a union of a very blue-eyed redhead & a dark brown-eyed brunette (so they tell me...does anybody really know who's your daddy?!?)

Lilith 02-07-2008 05:26 PM

I just told Most Honorable Son # 2 that he may be a Mutant like Xmen :p

Aqua 02-07-2008 05:35 PM

And I bet he was excited at the possibility. :D

Aqua 02-07-2008 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But what about us that have grey eyes?!

My eyes are grey, right?

dicksbro 02-07-2008 06:19 PM

I heard this on the morning news a day or two ago (I think). Interesting.

gekkogecko 02-08-2008 02:27 PM

I head this item on the even TV news last night.

My reaction is "well, duh!"

I mean, freakin' *humanity* resulted from a genetic mutation. That's how evolution works.

scotzoidman 02-08-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkogecko
I head this item on the even TV news last night.

My reaction is "well, duh!"

I mean, freakin' *humanity* resulted from a genetic mutation. That's how evolution works.

Exactly correct, but I think the interesting part is that they've been able to isolate the mutant gene, & establish that it's a relatively recent development in human history...especially considering how pervasive the trait is.

I saw a related article some months back that stated that those of us with red hair are a dying breed due to the fact that the gene is a recessive one...I've seen some evidence in my own family that makes me think it's true, since neither of my kids have red hair, this in spite of not only my own but a few redheads in my wife's family tree.

This new article makes me wonder about the future of the blue-eyed gene, whether it may be more dominant or recessive...

Oldfart 02-08-2008 10:29 PM

It is a shame to see such a lovely piece of research blown away by their own shoddy practice. Mitochondrial DNA is a good way to tell how closely related segments of the population are. In this case they have been "mining" mDNA of blue eyed people with no regard to whether the mDNA (which must by definition come from the mother) has come from a blue eyed parent.

This is the equivalent of drawing conclusions about lemons from studying a bowl of mixed citrus. (Sit down citrus, not you.)