PDA

View Full Version : Sobering to Read

jseal
02-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Because global emission of greenhouse gasses are not reducing and the climate is changing (http://www.imeche.org/about/keythemes/environment/Climate+Change/Adaptation/Adaptation+Report) ...

mercifulangel
02-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Agreed. i was researching this w my homeschooler. it totally will wipe out some food sources as lowlands flood and plant and animal species.

Oldfart
02-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Interesting article.

What it doesn't say is that two powerhouse nations on Earth, India and China, are polluting at many times the rate of the "western world", using the excuse that the west gained power "dirtily" and that they should not be at a disadvantage catching up.

There is no mention that the nuclear countries are creating perpetual pollution at an unprecedented rate (the million year blight).

dicksbro
02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I think there's still a concern that the warming will shut down warm water currents to the artic and potentially could cause an ice-age. Significant warming or ice age ... neither sounds too good to me. :(

Let's hope that humanity gains the wisdom to work together in the best interests of all.

mercifulangel
02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I think there's still a concern that the warming will shut down warm water currents to the artic and potentially could cause an ice-age. Significant warming or ice age ... neither sounds too good to me. :(

Let's hope that humanity gains the wisdom to work together in the best interests of all.

i agree they both sound dismal.

Oldfart
02-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Yep.

dicksbro
02-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Heck, we may all have to come and live with you, OF. :) Do you have plenty of stuff to BBQ on hand?

wyndhy
02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
natural selection keeps trying to put things right again. how much longer can we fight back back with quick fixes to stave off the inevitable, i wonder. the age of consequences indeed

jseal
03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Oldfart,

Following your comment above in re India & China, you will enjoy this item (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7947438.stm)!

Oldfart
03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Clever little devils.

"You made me do it so it's your fault" just doesn't cut it. Does it?

jseal
03-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Regulating the human component of global warming or climate change is in the end a political issue. The new U.S. administration will be able to show where it plans to go at an April meeting in Washington DC, in July in Italy, and finally in December in Copenhagen.

If emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases are to be limited, according to some schedule, to an amount which generally accepted science suggests can avoid "dangerous" global warming, then how does that play out, when shared among the world's population? Will it be distributed equally across the board, or will some be expected to bear a larger share of the burden, and if so, how much more, and for how long?

I wonder what the demand for “immediate action” might mean in practice, and how can it be turned into reality?

It could be an interesting year in this regard.