PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a doctor

Jax
07-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Okay, curious on what you peeps think.

My insurance changed, so I need a new doctor. The wife, kids and me will all go to the same clinic. This change was about a nine months ago and the wife and kids have already been.

They have the same doctor.

I now need a general appointment (thinking physical but not sure). The wife suggested I use their doc. My first response was kinda like "no...that just seems weird". But I don't know. Maybe its not.

That being said, I have two questions.

One, Is it weird to have everyone have the same doc?

Two, how does one choose a doc at a clinic other than 'first available' IF my first experience is going to be a physical.

Thanks

jseal
07-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Jax,

My son and I have the same Primary Care physician, as do my wife and daughter.

WildIrish
07-07-2008, 07:09 PM
My children are young enough to have a pediatrician.

My wife and I each have our own doctors. Her's is in the town in which we live, while mine is close to my office. It's always worked out that way.

scotzoidman
07-07-2008, 07:57 PM
The fact that this doc serves the wife & kids says that (s)he's not a pediatrician or OB/GYN, in which case it shouldn't be too weird for you to go to the same. Most of my dr. decisions have been based on who's in the ins. network rather than their medical skills or bedside manner.

Lilith
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Your very first visit should not be a physical. It should be a conversation so he/she knows what all you need to have checked in the physical.

Jax
09-06-2008, 02:54 PM
By the way, I took this advice. The part about going to the Doctor first, meeting them and trying to see if the doctor would be a fit. And frankly, that was the best doctor visit I've had. I went in for a minor cold and ache, and was really pleased with the visit. Good advice. Thank you. So If I need a physical or another visit etc, I feel like I've got a doctor. Very good.

But I did ask for a different doctor than the ones the wife and kids go too. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a big deal, but it seemed like the right call at the time.

Airy
09-06-2008, 04:41 PM
By the way, I took this advice. The part about going to the Doctor first, meeting them and trying to see if the doctor would be a fit. And frankly, that was the best doctor visit I've had. I went in for a minor cold and ache, and was really pleased with the visit. Good advice. Thank you. So If I need a physical or another visit etc, I feel like I've got a doctor. Very good.

But I did ask for a different doctor than the ones the wife and kids go too. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a big deal, but it seemed like the right call at the time.

It mattered to you and your doctor should be someone you are very comfortable and confident in. Getting to know your doctor is very important! Glad it worked out for you.

Rhiannon
09-06-2008, 05:52 PM
my husband and i use the same doctor. We adore him .
When i got divorced he was one person i could talk to
when mother passed away. I was able to cry in his office
I adore the man

Salacious
09-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Our whole family sees the same doctor. She's been our doctor for over 13 years.

Lord Snow
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
My whole family goes to see the same doctor. He's been the physician for over 10 years and knows the family and it's history quite well. Only thing I'm not fond of is he talks to me like I'm a child sometimes. I think he forgets that I'm all growed up now. I be this *holds up fingers* many.

Oldfart
09-06-2008, 10:52 PM
It's only a bad if you'd rather wifey not know about that nasty but non-infectious condition.

Lilith
09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I've had the same dentist for 17 years. I got a note today from my insurance that she is no longer on my plan. :( I don't want anyone else prodding around between my molars :p

WildIrish
09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Is that what the kids are calling it these days? :bj:

Sharni
09-09-2008, 03:48 AM
All my clan go to the same clinic, we will only see 2 of the male doctors there, it just depends who is available on the day.

I couldn't care less if the same 2 docs deal with Bilbo & my kids. We all feel comfortable with them, thats the main thing for me

dicksbro
09-09-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't see anything weird about a family all having the same doctor as long as you're comfortable with him/her and feel like the doctor is doing a good job for you.