PDA

View Full Version : 100,000

Lilith
08-18-2007, 07:41 AM
I saw an article this morning that said since 9-11 in America 100,000 people have been murdered. The article said that roughly 60,000 people a year are shot and the number of cases of aggravated assault with a firearm falls around 100,000 each year. While we take away hair products and shaving implements at the airport, what is being done to really protect us? Seems like the first step in "Homeland Security" would be to help make home more secure...

*hands PF his stick back*

Oldfart
08-18-2007, 07:50 AM
And the two are related how?

Lilith
08-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Depends on your point of view. This person's point was that homeland security is not addressing what actually affects the security of our homeland.

In a time where $29875398423975 has been spent on homeland security and budgets have been cut for state and local law enforcement, are we really focusing our resources in the right direction?

scotzoidman
08-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Considering the immediate death toll of 9-11 was roughly 3000 (not counting the emergency workers who were breathing the toxic dust at Ground Zero, & who are dropping like flies as I type), I would say you've brought up a valid point.

And while we're at it, wouldn't it make sense to have a sensible, effective method of controlling our borders? We clearly have quite enough home-grown criminals, maybe screening out the worst elements who want to come in would help?

Naaaahhhh, makes too much sense...

*taps the stick on the edge of the shitpot & passes it back to Lil...*

Scarecrow
08-18-2007, 08:28 PM
and over 240,000 Americans have died on US highways since 9-11, so should we take away the cars or put a cop every 1,000 feet?

Winston77
08-18-2007, 08:59 PM
This is from a e-mail I received!

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson (This is why Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton wants gun control so badly! )

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE
1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

10. The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

14. Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.

15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

17. 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

19. Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

22. You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.

23. Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have; don't make more.

24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

LixyChick
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Has anyone seen the stats for murders in Philadelphia to date just this year alone? It's something like 290 already and every morning I wake to the news and the growing number overnight!

The current mayor is a joke. Come election time Philly is placing all their hope on Michael Nutter to run and win. Philly is in the lead, countrywide, for murders this year. And with no way to individually do anything about it, the locals have resorted to joking that at least "we" are no.1 in something (talking mostly about sports teams and their lack of ability to be consistent and win it all).

I don't live in Philly but am considered a suburb of it. I don't like the jokes and I especially fear the trickle down effect this behavior could have. To make light of something is to desensitize the severity. This is an extremely critical issue and Mr. Nutter IS taking it so as his top priority and platform. He has specific plans and they sound like he is on the right path. I wish him well in his difficult endeavor!

BTW Lil...I'm not surprised by the listed stastics. Michael Moore asked the question..."Why do you think America is such a violent nation amoungst itself?"

jay-t
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
I have a picture on the wall of my office that has Geronimo,Crazy Horse,Cochise,and Mangas Coloradas, sitting on their horses in full war dress.The caption says Homeland Security fighting terrorism since 1492!

Does history repete itself?

Oldfart
08-19-2007, 06:17 PM
When I was a youngster just hitting the social scene, a bar fight led to a bloody nose and a fresh round of beers.

People carrying weapons to make themselves feel tough ( Bonnay re-born) should have them rectally inserted forcefully.

When a citizen's right to own and use a hunting rifle for food and homestead use is used to justify a punk's "right" to use full-auto weapons and exotic handguns to rule the neighbourhood, extremism rules.

jseal
08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Gentlefolk,

Here’s a big step forward (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6949358.stm). The Department of Homeland Security has proposed making U.S. spy satellite imagery available to improve the quality of surveillance of U.S. borders, bridges, and ports. Not only that, but this data could be used to respond to events like the 9/11 attacks or hurricanes.

This gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside to know how these espionage assets are to be used (http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1187188414685.shtm).

Oldfart
08-19-2007, 08:20 PM
jseal

Big Brother loves you and seeks a closeness to better protect you from anything it feels is not in your best interests.

Cobalt
08-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Looks like this is a thread I best stay away from, I do believe in MY RIGHTS to own a gun, and that includes one that holds more than one bullet.

Enough said!

LixyChick
08-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Looks like this is a thread I best stay away from, I do believe in MY RIGHTS to own a gun, and that includes one that holds more than one bullet.

Enough said!
Oh Sweetness...DON'T take this thread the wrong way!

I am not saying we should take away the right to bear arms! I'm saying (and I chant/justify/tediously verify) that there has got to be SOMETHING done in this country about the high crime rate caused by illegal and easily accessible firearms. In order to hunt down these murderers there has got to be a way to process where the bullet came from. If nobody cracks down on illegal firearms there will never be a way to bring down "the bad guy".

Just recently we had a 14y/o boy killed for nothing more than his dirt bike. Drive by shootings are rampant! Children are getting killed while sitting on their front porch or even in their home as a stray bullet, meant for a drug dealer, pierces the frail walls of their meager houses and kills them instantly.

This...not our rights as upstanding citizens...is being challenged! How can we help? How can we save an innocent life while still protecting our rights? *shakes head*

There has got to be a way!

Scarecrow
08-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I have nothing against owning guns, I have a couple myself. But can anyone tell me why a private citizen need a firearm that will fire 30 armor piercing shell in under a minute? That does not make any sense to me. If you have seen what that kind of gun can do it would scare the shit right out of you. I've seen them put a hole in a foot thick concret wall with out reloading.

Oldfart
08-19-2007, 10:43 PM

Enough said!

Cobalt,

I own 5 firearms, being a slug gun, a .22, two shotguns and a Mauser G98.

I believe in fair and strict licensing, and the appropriate use of firearms. Sport shooting need only be finding the right hill and murdering drink cans or doing the Dan'l Boone thang. It doesn't need to be championship or Olympic stuff.

I object to gangsta wannabes and morons acting in ways that ultimately curtail our legitimate enjoyment of firearms.