PDA

View Full Version : Ban on US troops entering London

FussyPucker
07-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Does anyone know if the US are planning to lift the ban they've imposed on US troops visiting londong? There are currently about 12,000 US troops in England and they've been banned from visiting London after the bombings. Their families, who can not be ordered not to visit have been strongly advised to stay out too.

Sensible step in the immediate aftermath of a terrorist attack?

or as one UK newpaper put it:-

"It was business as usual in brave and resilient London yesterday -- though not if you were a member of the world's most powerful military machine," the Daily Mail said in an editorial.

As for me? well I think it's sensible for now, although I wouldn;t like to see the ban continue for very long!

lizzardbits
07-12-2005, 01:40 AM
I haven't heard anything, but i think it a wise choice for Americans to stay out for a while.

here in Birmingham, i have taken to talking in low tones, mummbling, or whispering in Mayhem's ear whilst we are out and about town. My accent is like a neon sign above my head saying "Look at me, I am an American" Before the 7th of July, i spoke aloud, with out a care. But now i am careful, and what few words i say aloud, like "thank you", i have been working on the British accent. I am not scared, just careful.

LixyChick
07-12-2005, 02:52 AM
No...haven't heard a thing about it. But then, I get most of my news here...being so busy with work and all!

Keep us posted Fussy!

nikki1979
07-12-2005, 03:12 AM
ya theyve told us that , i dont care, if it is not lifted by the 30th i will sooooooooooooo go against it , ive been planning a shopping trip there for awile and now that im meeting up with a friend there imSO GOING lol , ive never had a prob with my american accent ever , weve been here for 4 yrs ppl have been nice to us , i dont think its gonna be specif targets if anyone gets targeted, and all the anti war brits over here usualylwont do anything but glare at u so its ok ! LOL wish me luck anyways tho!

jseal
07-12-2005, 05:09 AM
FussyPucker,

It should be lifted soon. They are are already doing the groundwork with statements like "...this restriction is being reassessed daily".

Lilith
07-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Doesn't exactly seem very supportive but I'm baffled by many millitary decisions lately.

jseal
07-12-2005, 06:42 AM
Lilith,

"...very supportive"?

jseal
07-12-2005, 07:27 AM
Gentlefolk,

The order has been lifted.

wyndhy
07-12-2005, 01:43 PM
i hadn't heard about it til now and after some checking i still can't find the reason why there was a ban in the first place. can anyone explain it to me? was it just SOP? cause that seems odd to me....i thought that we were all supposed to "carry on as normal, but be vigilant and aware" in response to any attacks.

jseal
07-12-2005, 05:41 PM
wyndhy

I emailed a Colonel I know, and he reminded me that, as he is not in command of the U.S. personnel based at Mildenhall and Lakenheath, he cannot provide the “answer”. He did say that the only Base Commander he knows said that it would be foolhardy to permit O&M staff to enter an area of active terrorist activity without justification.

wyndhy
07-12-2005, 07:58 PM
that you, jseal :)
i suppose that makes sense

nikki1979
07-13-2005, 03:43 AM
ok i found out the reason the ban was placed , the higher ups at lak and mil decided that all the tourists that the bases out here send there a day wud get in the way and damper the effects of rescue , and also put a burden on the already lowered tansit, they figured we shut let the ppl who work there and are there daily get back to normal before we go out there pestering and takin up space . but i do belive it has been lifted , not sure tho they were talkin about lifting it yesty

PantyFanatic
07-13-2005, 07:12 AM
I don’t know anybody and have been removed for a long time, but it makes sense to me purely from the military prospective.
1) Immediately after a hostile event, you want your troops away from the danger as they may be activated.
2) The possibility of them becoming undefended targets themselves could put both them and civilians at risk.
3) If the whistle DID blow, you don’t want your personnel in an area where transportation is already a problem.

It seemed reasonable to gather in your defenses and be ready for their purpose until it was determined the situation was identified and under control.

:cents:

scotzoidman
07-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Sounds reasonable to me...I was thinking along those same lines myself, but couldn't put my thoughts in order as well as PF did

Steph
07-13-2005, 02:55 PM
but couldn't put my thoughts in order as well as PF did

:eek: Isn't this one of the signs of the apocolypse? :eek: