PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Question

Lilith
05-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I planted a bunch of potato eyes and plants grew. How do I know when to dig them up? There better be some potatoes under there!!!!!

IAKaraokeGirl
05-22-2005, 12:12 PM
When you *see* them, Lil. Get it? Eyes...see...

:D

(No, the blender's not going yet.) :grin:

PantyFanatic
05-22-2005, 12:13 PM
…For highest yields and best storage, potatoes should not be dug until two weeks after vines have naturally died down. This allows the skins to set and reduces skin peeling, bruising and rot in storage….

We planted a small patch, many years ago, just to show my city kids that they do not grow in bags at A&P. :rolleyes2 Here’s a source for info (http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1619.html) I whish I had then. Our tennis ball sized potatoes did do what I wanted though.

I think they may come out of the ground as “grits” when you get below I-90, in which case you may need a strainer too. ;)

:rofl:

IAKaraokeGirl
05-22-2005, 12:15 PM
We planted a small patch, many years ago, just to show my city kids that they do not grow in bags at A&P.

OMG...A&P...you're showing your age again, PF. :D

PantyFanatic
05-22-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm even showing my kids age. :grin:

IAKaraokeGirl
05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
That would make them...about my age, then? :D

(Thread hijack! Thread hijack!)

gekkogecko
05-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Lilith,
you should harvest the potatoes when you have to bend over nude in your garden.

Oh, wait, that's *how*. Not *when*.

cowgirltease
05-22-2005, 02:00 PM
If you want baby potatoes like for canning or stews, usually after about 75 days you can harvest them. I usually wait until the tops start dying off if I want bigger potatoes to store for later. Also if you see potatoes "heaving" (exposed to the sun) you need to cover them back up with dirt. Just do a test dig. If they aren't big enough you can cover them back up and leave them for a couple of weeks. :)
Did you plant them before St. Patricks day?

Lilith
05-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks! Ya goofballs!

Steph
05-22-2005, 02:07 PM

The sad thing is, he's fudging his age. The info he provided is actually what he learned from his mistakes during the Potato Famine.

PantyFanatic
05-22-2005, 03:58 PM
The sad thing is, he's fudging his age. The info he provided is actually what he learned from his mistakes during the Potato Famine.
.... but it WAS the second famine! :mad:

..... blabber mouth. :whack:

PantyFanatic
05-22-2005, 04:04 PM

Then why are my urges ANYTHING but fatherly with you? :lust:

RandyGal
05-23-2005, 12:02 AM

Now now, nothing to worry about. There's nothing wrong with a well-planned thread hijack.

As far as potatoes and eyes go, when my potatoes see ME they usually stop growing and yell "OHhhhh my eyes, MY EYES!!" :grin:
So then I eat them. BWahahahahhaaaaaaa!!!!

Yeah, payback is a bitch, you starchy little bastards!!!

thereIam
05-23-2005, 12:44 AM
I think they may come out of the ground as “grits” when you get below I-90, in which case you may need a strainer too. ;)

Ah hah! Now I begin to understand why grits has such a bad name in the upper regions. They've been making them out of the wrong stuff! :D

Lilith, the longer you wait, the bigger the potato. You can leave 'em a month to six weeks before you dig them.

Galatea
05-23-2005, 10:54 AM
I was waiting on someone to correct the poor misguided thing. PF honey....grits are made from corn as any self respecting Southern person should know. I won't hold it against you this time. But I believe someone needs to give you a good lesson on Southern. Now I'd be more than willing to oblige if you'd like.....for a small...( :hump: :d: :69: :sex: :bj: :bsex: )...fee.

campingboy
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Have you mounded the potato plants? Mounding does two things; 1) it provides more air movement around the base of the plant, lessening the change of disease, and 2) allows water to be closer to the roots. Potatoes need lots of water in well drained soil. The only reason that farmers wait until the tops are dead is to aid in the harvesting.

Lilith
05-23-2005, 11:59 AM
ummm...I cut eyes off potatoes and put them in the ground, that's it!

WildIrish
05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
... potatoes ... "heaving" ... aren't big enough ... St. Patricks day ...

Must everything be about Irish people?

Lilith
05-23-2005, 12:47 PM
OK Here's my crop :p

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 01:04 PM
I was waiting on someone to correct the poor misguided thing. PF honey....grits are made from corn as any self respecting Southern person should know. I won't hold it against you this time. But I believe someone needs to give you a good lesson on Southern. Now I'd be more than willing to oblige if you'd like.....for a small...( :hump: :d: :69: :sex: :bj: :bsex: )...fee.

CORN? :eek: ... for breakfast?? :confused: I thought only the chickens got corn for breakfast.

Why is it white? :confused: ......... and look like runny mashed potatoes with beebees in it? :confused:

I was kind of hoping you WOULD hold it against me. .............. and let me hold something against you too. I can see I DO require an intensive course "in Southern" though. I would like to enroll in the next night class and will HAPPILY pay double for private tutoring.

wyndhy
05-23-2005, 01:07 PM
nice job lil.

now bring 'em over....i'm gonna put em in the crockpot with my roast tomorrow :D

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 01:16 PM
OK Here's my crop :p
FANTASTIC!! :D......... if that's a bed sheet they are on.

If it's a paper towel? ................... putum back. They're not done.

cowgirltease
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Heyyyyyy I AM Irish! :whack:

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
YES!!

... at least all the good stuff. ;)

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
SEE! :D

Lilith
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
That is all there is and the plants were getting peaked. It's 90 here every day now.

cowgirltease
05-23-2005, 01:26 PM
AWWWWWWW :( I haven't dug mine yet. I planted reds and whites so I would have some to can too. It's in the 90's here too. The humidity is the killer right now. PF I think we both jumped on WI at the same time. LOL
You can't get any more Irish with a last name like Miller. :)

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
...the plants were getting peaked. It's 90 here every day now.
That's the problem. Even green leafy things can't live in 32C for long. :faint:

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 01:31 PM
.....You can't get any more Irish with a last name like Miller. :)
YAHVOL!!

:grin:

wyndhy
05-23-2005, 01:38 PM
FANTASTIC!! :D......... if that's a bed sheet they are on.

If it's a paper towel? ................... putum back. They're not done.

ummmmmmmmm....'scuse me.....size doesn't matter :p :D

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 01:42 PM
ummmmmmmmm....'scuse me.....size doesn't matter :p :D
That's not what you told me last night. :(

LOL :rofl:

WildIrish
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM

So.....you wanna get rough, eh? :hot:

Galatea
05-23-2005, 03:48 PM
CORN? :eek: ... for breakfast?? :confused: I thought only the chickens got corn for breakfast.

Why is it white? :confused: ......... and look like runny mashed potatoes with beebees in it? :confused:

I was kind of hoping you WOULD hold it against me. .............. and let me hold something against you too. I can see I DO require an intensive course "in Southern" though. I would like to enroll in the next night class and will HAPPILY pay double for private tutoring.

Have you never eaten CORN flakes? or CORN Chex? Being that Grits are considered a cereal (the hot kind like oatmeal) it's not that much of a stretch.

And actual field corn (not sweet corn like you get in a can) IS white or at least VERY PALE yellow.

Tuition just increased. You need to start your lessons asap. We have our work cut out for us.

cowgirltease
05-23-2005, 04:02 PM
So.....you wanna get rough, eh? :hot:
Only if you make me like it. :D

cowgirltease
05-23-2005, 04:04 PM
That is all there is and the plants were getting peaked. It's 90 here every day now.
Lil, I'd be more than happy to share my taters with you. :)

WildIrish
05-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Have you never eaten CORN flakes? or CORN Chex? Being that Grits are considered a cereal (the hot kind like oatmeal) it's not that much of a stretch.

He's just saying that stuff to get you to respond...so he can see your cleavage! :D

Thanks PF. ;)

Lilith
05-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Lil, I'd be more than happy to share my taters with you. :)
You are soo sweet!

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 04:47 PM
.....And actual field corn (not sweet corn like you get in a can) IS white or at least VERY PALE yellow.

Tuition just increased. You need to start your lessons asap. We have our work cut out for us.
OK. :) I see I need more than just a course in Southern. :o
I've heard of Feed Corn that animals eat and Sweet Corn that people eat and even Indian Corn that you decorate with at Thanksgiving time, but what is Field Corn? I know about some special treats in the Iowa corn patches :lust:, but we won’t go into that now. :D Hell, ….. I don’t even know what Pop Corn really is. :confused:

I’m stopping at the “Book Store” and picking up some supplies. ;) I hope the prerequisite isn’t more than a shower. :D

:boink:

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 04:48 PM
He's just saying that stuff to get you to respond...so he can see your cleavage! :D

Thanks PF. ;)
You're welcome. :lust:

WildIrish
05-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Field Corn...or Cow Corn as we call it round here is what they plant in the fields closest to the road.

So all us dumb "don't know shit about corn" a**holes can get all excited about how big the ears are, and go home & complain about how starchy it tastes. :rolleyes2

Um...from what I hear. Not that I know anything about it personally. :D

cherrypie7788
05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
So all us dumb "don't know shit about corn" a**holes can get all excited about how big the ears are, and go home & complain about how starchy it tastes.

LOL...We have our fair share of those around here, damn out of state tourists stop to pick the corn on the side of the road, not realizing it's not really fit to eat (there's a reason we feed it to our livestock!)

campingboy
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
popping corn grows in the isle with the chips and beer nuts.

cowgirltease
05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Field Corn...or Cow Corn as we call it round here is what they plant in the fields closest to the road.

So all us dumb "don't know shit about corn" a**holes can get all excited about how big the ears are, and go home & complain about how starchy it tastes. :rolleyes2

Um...from what I hear. Not that I know anything about it personally. :D
Well if you'd get to know your neighbors then you might find out where they hide their sweet corn patch in all that field corn. lmao
Not that I know anything about that either.. :p

PantyFanatic
05-23-2005, 08:56 PM
..... not realizing it's not really fit to eat (there's a reason we feed it to our livestock!)
So field corn and feed corn are pretty much the same thing?

I guess I AM having corn (processed) at breakfast with my bacon and eggs. :bite:

:D

Galatea
05-23-2005, 09:40 PM
FYI: Did you know that corn is the only crop that can be successfully grown in any state in the United States?

Which leads me to question why some idiots are picking corn off of the side of the road. I had fresh field corn tonight as a matter of fact....makes the best creamed corn...none of that sweet crap for me....

Oh and by the way, here are my boobs again PF and WI. :)

cherrypie7788
05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
popping corn grows in the isle with the chips and beer nuts.

He's right you know!! :D

Booger
05-23-2005, 11:25 PM
OK. :) I see I need more than just a course in Southern. :o
I've heard of Feed Corn that animals eat and Sweet Corn that people eat and even Indian Corn that you decorate with at Thanksgiving time, but what is Field Corn? I know about some special treats in the Iowa corn patches :lust:, but we won’t go into that now. :D Hell, ….. I don’t even know what Pop Corn really is. :confused:

I’m stopping at the “Book Store” and picking up some supplies. ;) I hope the prerequisite isn’t more than a shower. :D

:boink:

Puts on his chefs hat

grits are made of cornmeal (which yes is ground up feild corn or feed corn the same thing). Cornmeal is also used to makke corn bread, corn muffins, and is offen used to bread many fired foods. Corn meal is also used to make Polenta which is basicly an italian version of grits (but don't tell either a southerner or and italian that).

Well if you'd get to know your neighbors then you might find out where they hide their sweet corn patch in all that field corn. lmao
Not that I know anything about that either.. :p

puts on his overalls

most likely not the feild corn will cross breed with the sweet corn and makes for a very poor sweet corn.

Galatea
05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
lol! YAY! Someone who knows as much about corn as me! Thanks booger!

Thank God Lil titled this "Gardening Question" and not "Potato Question" otherwise I might have to say this thread has been totally completely and undeniably HIJACKED!

dicksbro
05-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Now if I understand all this correctly ... the field yams want to cross-breed with the corn chicks while PF takes night lessons using paper towels for bed sheets. :dizzy:

Lil, do you have any open racks in your dungeon. :)

sodaklostsoul
05-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Too funny DB^^^^^

spankymaly
05-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Looks like you have what you need Lilith,
but for future reference try [URL]http://www.gardenweb.com/[URL]
lots of good info ;)

cowgirltease
05-24-2005, 08:19 AM
puts on his overalls

most likely not the feild corn will cross breed with the sweet corn and makes for a very poor sweet corn.

You are right about that Boog. Damn you are smart! :x:

sodaklostsoul
05-24-2005, 08:39 AM
See PF ^^^^^^^ the Booger Lama knows all.

WildIrish
05-24-2005, 09:46 AM
FYI: Did you know that corn is the only crop that can be successfully grown in any state in the United States?

Which leads me to question why some idiots are picking corn off of the side of the road. I had fresh field corn tonight as a matter of fact....makes the best creamed corn...none of that sweet crap for me....

Oh and by the way, here are my boobs again PF and WI. :)

Did you think flashing your cleavage at me would make me miss the fact that you called me an idiot? :confused:

I'll have you know that there are tons better reasons to do that than just because of my harvesting!

PantyFanatic
05-24-2005, 10:13 AM
See PF ^^^^^^^ the Booger Lama knows all.
Never mind the Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong. :mad: I wanted to get my “private lessons” from Galatea. :D Now he’s gone and spoiled everything .....again. I'd have to check that all out with the Great Grand Guru Green before I can commit it to my steel-trap mind anyway. :rolleyes2

….. or is that my stolen-tripe mind? :confused:

sodaklostsoul
05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
No stealing PF...put it back!!!