PDA

View Full Version : Memories

Sharni
05-17-2004, 04:05 AM
What childhood songs brings back memories for you?

The theme from Kimba the White Lion...i can remember running home from school every day so as not to miss it *L*...can you say addicted :D

I finally found the version online that used to be on back then.....they've since changed it and well the new one is total 'frogshit'......i play and sing along with the old one at least every couple of days *LOL*

Tell me yours

LixyChick
05-17-2004, 04:38 AM
We had a local celebrity who had a TV show on Saturday mornings when I was young. He used to set up an easel and draw pics of Snow White and her dwarfs (or other cartoon characters) in a matter of minutes as he explained the next cartoon or skit that was coming up. Our 2nd grade class went to the studio and was on the show once. His name was Gene London. He did a skit about Quigley Mansion and the Golden Fleece. He'd sing a song when it was time to "go to" the mansion. Went like this...

Let's pretend that it's storytime and I'll tell a tale to you.
I'll tell a story of make believe and all your dreams will come true.
And when the story's over, and when we reach the end...
We'll live happily ever after...where?
In the land of Let's Pretend!

Found out years later that he was gay...but I was "in love" with Gene London for most of my early years!

BTW Shar? I love the Kimba theme!

Sharni
05-17-2004, 04:55 AM
You love the original Lixy?......have you heard the new version...good gawd it sux big time

I bought some of the videos for my kids and sat own all excited to watch it and sing along *LOL*....but they totally spoilt it for me

darogle
05-17-2004, 04:58 AM
Sunny day - Sweepin’ the clouds away,
On my way to where the air is sweet.
Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street.

:D

darogle
05-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Not a childhood song, but a song from my childhood~ the theme to "All In The Family"...

Edith and Archie belting out the song at their piano, singing off-key....

"Boy the way Glen Miller played songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made, those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn’t need no welfare state, Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days. "

Brings back memories of my Grandpa. I used to sit on his lap and watch that show every week. I just loved hearing him laugh.

Steph
05-17-2004, 10:11 AM
My dad's weekend music - Johnny Cash, "Sunday Morning" and Gordon Lightfoot's "In the Early Morning Rain"

fzzy
05-17-2004, 01:35 PM
"Davey, Davey Crockett .... King of the wild frontier." That's all I remember of the song, but that portion of it will probably come out frequently when I'm old and senile ... LOL!

Scarecrow
05-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

(spoken)
It happened on one
of them Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
days. Now that's the kind of
day where you can't open your
mouth without a song jumping
right out of it.

(sung)
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
Zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh my, what a
wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine
Headin' my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
Zip-a-dee-ay

Mr. Bluebird's on
my shoulder
It's the truth
It's "act-ch'll"
Everything is
"satisfact-ch'll"
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
Zip-a-dee-ay
Wonderful fellin'
Wonderful day

From the first movie I remember going to.

Fairy-Bird
05-21-2004, 12:25 AM
I remember the Sesame Street theme and the Mr. Rodger's song...

Its a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
a beautiful day for a neighbor,
could you be mine? wont you be mine?
oh wont you be my neighbor?

then at the end he sung the goodbye song... errr how'd that go?

something something something.... but I'll be back when the day is new and I'll have more ideas for you... and you'll have things you'll want to talk about, I Will Too.... GOOD BYE NEIGHBOR

musketeer
05-21-2004, 03:42 AM
Has to be for me something brings back those long long summer holidays away from school called The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. The theme tune still makes me pause.

http://tv.cream.org/specialassignments/themes/crusoe.mp3

Oldfart
05-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Who's the King in deepest darkest Africa?

Who's the one who just won't turn and run?

My personal memories were "Little blue man" and Johnny Horton.

Nice Guy
05-21-2004, 09:53 AM
I also don't really have any childhood songs but songs I remember from childhood and bring it back for me.

Any of Phil Collins songs from the 80s. Don't know why his are the only ones but they always do it. Also have some songs that remind me of college life in the dorms. Arent' memories great.

fzzy
05-22-2004, 05:09 AM
"How much is that doggie in the window?"

Also, listened to lots of regular music ... 5 older siblings who are just enough older than me so I got to listen to all the "cool" music when I was just a kid .... and a wide variety since they all had differing tastes!

Beatles, Eddy Arnold, but the one I really remember ...

Barry Sadler .... The Green Beret

"fighting soldiers from the sky .... fearless men who jump and die ... men who mean just what they say, these are men of the green beret" ....

BigBear57
05-22-2004, 06:08 AM
Long distance information give me Memphis Tennessee.
I'm trying to get in touch with a woman tryin' to get in touch with me.
Her house in on the south side, way up on a ridge.
Just about a mile from the Mississippi bridge

Yeah, an old Johnny Rivers tune my Dad's band used to do all the time. That song drums of memories of an overcrowded livingroom. Instruments and amps all around. Dad gettin' on somebody's ass about putting a beer on his amp, my cousin Vernon bending some strings and of course yours truly jammin' on the broom guitar. Those were the days.

fzzy
05-22-2004, 06:08 AM
OK .. having trouble getting my brain to turn off so I can go to sleep .... and these songs from my childhood keep coming back to me ....

Alvin & the Chipmunks .... "Do you have some Japaneze bananas, that's what I'd like to know."

And the Ricky Nelson album one of my sisters bought .... I think I could still sing every word along with any one of the songs from that album .....

"I'm a travelin' man, made a lot of stops, all over the world, and in every port I own the heart of at least one lovely girl.... There's a pretty seniorita waiting for me down in old Mexico and if you're ever in Alaska, stop and see my sweet little eskimo. Ah, my sweet fraulein down in Berlin town, makes my heart start to yearn, and my china doll down in old Hong Kong, waits for my return.... pretty Polynesian baby over the sea, I remember the night when we walked in the sands ofa Waikiki and I held her oh so tight .... "

Dang it, now the song is stuck firm in my head! LOL!!!

BigBear57
05-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Puff the magic Dragon, lived by the sea and froliced in the autumn mist ....

Damn, the first record I ever owned. Peter, Paul & Mary was it? I sang that thing for months around the house. Poor Mom, she had to listen to it. LOL

osuche
05-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Anything by Simon and Garfunkel -- my parents used to listen to them every night.

I also liked "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles